Thursday, May 8, 2008

The hard body debacle

So this morning I'm getting a filling at the dentist (my first...thank you), and as my mouth is getting shot up with novocaine, some story on I'm watching The Daily 10 on E! comes on about Mischa Barton getting attacked for having cellulite. With a DUI under her belt, maybe this is her descent from OC bombshell to soft- bodied- British- Keds- wearing- has- been as we know it! Oh, Hollywood, you're so terrible.

I remember standing behind her on the tarmac at Paris's Charles de Gaulle airport around April 2005, waiting to board our AirFrance flight to Los Angeles. This was the height of the Mischa Barton craze in the US, so I thought it was pretty cool, even if she was being a total pill. My own mom didn't have a clue of who she was (I flipped open my magazine and showed her).


But seriously, this is an age-old question (well maybe half-century old question) but exactly when did the quest for the hard body become desirable? You know what I'm talking about- all the low-fat, low-carb, low sugar, egg- wheat- and dairy-free nonsense that has made America even more obese than when we started the quest for the hard body. Anyone?


Believe me, I'm guilty of it. I spent enough of my teen years in a starved state of self-hatred to know. But seriously.


I just read in a recent study by a popular women's magazine that found 65 percent of women have disordered eating and an additional 10 percent have full-fledged eating disorders. That means 3 in 4 women have food problems. Isn't that around the same percentage of people in the US who are overweight/obese? Interesting.

Here's Marilyn circa 1946...


Like many a civilization of centuries past, perhaps the downfall of ours will be faulted to internal problems. No, not the political or religious turmoil that repeats itself on the pages of our history books, but deeper down under our own skin. Why can't we all make peace, and eat our steaks, salads, bread and chocolate when and whenever we want it? It's been said that love conquers all. Let's start with ourselves.

0 footnotes: