Monday, May 26, 2008

Let there be... Barack! (And Mac)

In other news, the light is now shining through the tunnel that is the Democratic Presidential Candidate Race!

I swear, if I see another news magazine juxtaposing their faces, or rehashing the obvious "first-woman! first-black!" ploy once again (as if we didn't so much as see it the first time), I am going to scream.


(seriously, gag me)


However acrimonious I think politics are, I find the angle some publications are taking on the whole Obama/Clinton thing by comparing them to Macs and PCs amusing.

Here is an article by the NY Times and a Huffington Post article that both date back to February (so I'm assuming these were among the first to start the trend).
Even if you aren't among the Economist-devouring elite (I was once upon a time, but I confess I am not currently), they're easy to read.
Promise.

And here's the latest social-technological comparison of Hillary as AOL, Obama as Facebook.

And now that the party-to-party race looks like it's going to be Obama vs. McCain, here's a comparison to McCain taking the role of PC from this LA Times blog, which I see was lifted from the official release on FreePress.com.


On a personal note, I bucked my own family's trend by getting a Mac last summer. It was a dark road to purchase. I had to stay my ground in the midst of my parents shaking their heads with their disapproving "whatever" expressions. The only reassurance was the 800-TO-APPLE lady on the other end of the phone line, the testimonials of my friends who had them, and Apple's downright attractive advertising that wooed me like the Sirens did Odysseus.


(from Apple's Web site)


But now, the light shines. Gone are the days of the 4 hours minimum time required to invest with the odd-hour-working-broken-English-man or woman in New Delhi who "transfers you" or conveniently loses your call when the issue gets tough.

Happily I chuckle watching my father groan as his 'Piece of Crap' freezes his spreadsheets and makes him spend hours de-virusing.

Whenever I visit my brother, I know I can find his perpendicularly turned up computer oddly laying somewhere so it will not overheat.

With pity, I have found my mother seething at her machinery with the simple request of "I just want to print!"


Interestingly enough, the next to succumb to the dark side was my hip 80-something-year-old grandfather who emails.

In all stages of life, it's good to be Mac. And American.

0 footnotes: