Tuesday, August 5, 2008

3 Days...



Who else can't wait?!

Every day at the gym, I see the little NBC icon on the bottom of the screen counting down the days until 8/8/08.

It makes my feet tread harder, heart beat faster, and not just because of Michael Phelps (though I swear if he weren't so buff, he'd be a total oaf. I say bring back Thorpedo).


They'll be Russian gymnasts a plenty.
They'll be track and fielders galore.

But who cares, no big deal, I want Dara
TORRes!


Incontestably, the greatest story is that of 41-year-old swimmer Dara Torres.
This is her 5th Olympics, she had a baby less than 2 years ago, she retired back in the 90s.

But thanks to her team of personal trainers (including two stretchers who mush her muscles around for 2-3 hours a day), her most genetically-predisposed-to-muscle-twitching body on the planet, she still DOMINATES.

Not only is she motivating her other 40-year-old mommies to the gym, she makes my own quads, however faintly they may resemble the definition of my former Junior Olympic volleyball days, look like BUTTA.


My favorite pre-games coverage came out of Glamour Magazine's spread entitled: "The 11 Greatest Bodies on Earth."

11 women Olympians struck poses from their sports, all wearing couture. The seamless integration of athletics and fashion to create art is inspiring and awestriking.


So here, I leave you with Mrs. Dara T herself. Go check out the article.


0 footnotes: