Friday, October 29, 2010

The emotional rollercoaster of Project Runway

Oh Project Runway. You make me laugh, you make me think, you make me cry - yes, cry - with happiness and anguish.

I think this season was particularly emotional.

The life of an artist is so fraught with risk, and it comes across in the show down to where every last seam and pleat seems to bear consequence to a designer's life trajectory.

And when there is success it is incredibly gratifying to watch.

I liked pieces from all three of the final collections. Also, I really identified when Gretchen said something along the lines of "being a confident woman often translates into bitch"...

because I've totally been accused of one as I've come into my own...

even though in my opinion, Gretchen did cross the line of bitch a few times, but I think she was humbled in the end.


And of course, where would we all be without Tim Gunn. I think he is the only 'celebrity' that, should I see him around town here, I would break calm, cool, collected city slicker cover to adoring, gushing fan. I love that man.

How hilarious was he on Gossip Girl this week? I'll link the NY Mag recap here. Hilarious as always...

2 footnotes:

Kaitlyn Thatcher said...

Oh Alex I soooo agree with this post. How did you feel about Gretchen winning? I was sad about it. I adore Mondo. And Tim Gunn. He is so fab.

Stephanie said...

Yep. It's true. I get very attached to Project runway as well. I was so glad with the outcome. While Mondo is so creative and talented I think that Gretchen has a viewpoint that is as dynamic as the fashion industry. I think Mondo's viewpoint would hardly change with the newest trends. Also, I really just want to wear Gretchen's designs. She does design for a huge portion of women today.