Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I'm going to post. Then tweet. Then link to FB. Then RT. Then 'Like.'

Not.



I was going to make the title of this post "Zuck on this" but I knew my mom wouldn't appreciate it.

I saw The Social Network last Friday night and I really liked it. Yes opening day. I say day because I went Ali who had gone to the midnight showing just 20 hours prior. Yes.

Even though it was a frenetically told story (down to Zuckerberg's character's voice, which was perfectly apropos but also perfectly annoying - I was definitely ready for the movie to end when it did), it had a real Shakespearean simplicity I found ironic- that the themes behind an invention so revolutionary are as simple as ancient love, lust, greed, power...
kind of like how people argue whether Facebook promotes interconnectivity and or pure egoism...
or that the founder of a medium all about social interaction is socially inept himself.

Perhaps that is a credit to the screenplay and the directing, but I thought it was great.

I also thought it made sense to cast Justin Timberlake in a role that is similar to his life- the way JT is to the masses is how Sean Parker was personally to Zuckerberg. At first, I think the character owned JT, but then I saw it as a clever directorial decision that they didn't cast someone with a lesser profile.

Although, maybe I was totally geeked out leading up to it. I read reviews and editorials and little videos here and there, even one being of the score writers talking about their methods for putting sound in the movie.

Did any of you see it? Make sure you don't miss the opening scene- it perfectly bookends the closing.

0 footnotes: