Saturday, January 31, 2009

The 25 List

Here's that ubiquitous 25 Random Facts list that's making it's rounds on Facebook Notes/Tags

1. I rode a camel in Africa. what now?!

2. In third grade, I formed an elite club with my eccentrically silly friends Eva and Tara where we made up songs and dances and dramatically 'fired' people who didn't get the words/steps correctly. One girl we fired moved to Belgium shortly thereafter and we never saw her again- true story.

3. The first snowfall of the first time I lived in snow (Helaman Halls freshman year), I asked my upstate-NY roommate if it was a blizzard. She laughed at me.

4. I've never seen the movie Clueless.

5. My hands and feet are always cold.

6. At 5'11" I am the shortest one in my immediate family. My parents and siblings are all over 6 feet tall.

7. I am studying journalism, and I want to go to grad school and potentially get a Ph.D.

8. A part of me wants to live the sexy NYC magazine writer life reporting women's foreign issues, another part wants to be a history professor, and another part wants to be a kick-a mom who loves the insanity out of her children (and husband) and writes columns and books on the side.
All in due time.

9. Around age 8, I copiously studied real estate guides and wrote my own 'home for sale' descriptions (i.e. 'Lavish 3 bedroom, 3.5 bath Monticello-style home...')

10. At age 10, I knew more about the San Diego Padres than probably most of the players themselves did.

11. I lived on the beach for the first 11 years of my life- we had lemonade stands on Labor Day and one time made $30. My survival instinct, even at that age, seriously considered it as a career, and in this recession, it's no wonder why I am thinking about it.

12. I have lived in California, NYC, Spain, New England and Utah, but never in a cul-de-sac.

13. I am a terrible artist (drawing, painting, etc). I once dug up a kindergarten report card and saw the teacher had been seriously concerned.

14. One of these years, I want to run off to the jungle (Thailand, Costa Rica, Bali, etc) and become a certified yoga instructor.

15. I can imitate almost anyone... Boston, Middle Eastern, Mexican, Utah accent or a specific person-- you name it, I can imitate it/them.

16. I have never broken a bone, and have an amazing immune system that has been sick only a few times in my life.

17. I'm not that competitive. I don't really like playing team sports, and I don't like watching them (as much as I used to).

18. I am far better at snowboarding than I am at surfing, and I'm from SoCal. Go figure.

19. I want to do humanitarian work/teach English in Eastern Europe/Asia and do foreign correspondence work on the side. Probably the fact of the area's enormity alone intrigues me.

20. A good way to describe how my brain works would be Grand Central at Rush Hour. I have had to learn how to calm down over the years.

21. I tried being vegan once but it only lasted a week- I had to take daily 2 hour naps because I was so tired and plus, it got boring. I am a major foodie.

22. I have studied Spanish on and off for 6 years but I could tell you more about my Spanish discoteca experiences than what I ever 'studied' abroad.

23. People who knew me from my childhood recall me as being tense, rigidly uptight, and unusually mature-- Until I got to college, I always had more to talk about with adults than I did my own age group. In that sense, a part of me thinks I never had a childhood.

24. I cry about cities (their absence in my current life). Last night, I was thinking about how much I miss New York and I started bawling.

25. My worst fear in life is being bored.

2 footnotes:

mamamia said...

How RIGHT ON is that Motown top 5!
And gotta love that wild THANG at Occidental!
Michelle and Barack's newlywed interview is poetry.
I have lived with you since your very first breath and I learned more beautiful things about you in your 25 list. You continue to amaze and delight me.
This is my first ever "post". Too mushy?

Tara said...

i'll get around to doing this eventually (as i have been formally tagged on facebook). i just need a few days to come up with 25 somewhat interesting and entertaining things about myself!