Thursday, January 22, 2009

Well done, sister suffragette?

I am a fierce advocate of education. Apparently, it can be a woman's greatest revenge.

And although women have made great strides with civil rights, we still have a long way to go.

I met a luminous Saudi Arabian woman in the Prague program I attended a week ago, who talked about how she had to overcome odds like an awful arranged marriage (thank goodness her ex-husband allowed her to divorce) and going to college against her parents will so she could become something better.

Now, she works as a journalist writing, ironically, about civil and womens rights. The awesome revenge of education!

(I'm happy to say she remarried a wonderful man, who she met, in progressive 21st century fashion, online, who seems extremely supportive. I know my friend has great things in front of her).

But it's stories like these that make my heart ache, and make me want to change the world so my fellow sisters around the globe can have better lives.

Things like attending school should not be met with dissension, for goodness sakes.

1 footnotes:

Becky and Heath said...

Wow, i read that story. I can't even believe that.

I guess it just goes to show how blessed we are to be able to receive an education in this country and not be threatened because of it.