As we prepare to inaugurate a new American president, I hearken to words of Adam Smith in 'The Theory of Moral Sentiments' where he talks of virtuous governance: the very words too oft eschewed in free market economist debates, and the very words I had in mind casting my first ballot this past November.
"The wise and virtuous man is at all times willing that his own private interest should be sacrificed to the public interest of his own particular order or society. He is at all times willing, too, that the interest of this order or society should be sacrificed to the greater interest of the state or sovereignty..."
Whether or not you agree with his politics, his on/off tobacco vice or his charismatic way of making America fall in love with him, I think we all can agree that President Obama is a virtuous man who has a vision of a more perfect union, a more virtuously governed America.
How?
This letter to his daughters, which I will admit I shed a tear over.
A loving dad who credits his daughters as his motivation to make the world a better place?
That's someone morally astute I want in Washington.
God Bless the USA.
Saturday, January 17, 2009
A historical Daddy-Daughter letter
Posted by Alexandra at 6:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 footnotes:
i thought that letter was really sweet.
and you're always welcome to come over for a hair tutorial :-)
(ps, my word verification for this comment is "sasho." fitting?)
Post a Comment