Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ode to the BYU-grad-turned-vampire-obsessed

Heard of the Twilight book series? They're a female-led, explicit-less romantic, Harry Potter-like fantasy novel series starring....

VAMPIRES.

Yeah, I don't get it either.



But...

Emily pleads with me every time it comes up some variation of "TRUST ME/I know it sounds weird/They're so gooood!" My cousin Julie has referred to neglecting her husband and son to read them (that word 'neglect' in this context is a harsh over-exaggeration for hyperbolic reasons. No, she does not neglect her toddler).

There are a zillion online fan groups (not to mention facebook groups) pledging their loyalties to the stories.

J.K. Rowling has finally met her competition. Good thing Harry graduated.

The three books are titled Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse. The fourth comes out August 2. Yesterday at the Park Slope Barnes and Noble, one of the check-out girls told us we should pre-order and went on about the midnight party they're planning at the store, that we should dress up, yada yada. NYC is not home to the most openly enthusiastic of people, so this surprised me a little.

And the author, Stephanie Meyer, is a BYU grad and Mormon housewife. The books especially peaked my interest after reading this interview with Meyer a while ago in TIME Magazine. I was so impressed with her very accurate yet conversational answers regarding the misconceived religion that is Mormonism.

And, she was elected to the 2008 list of TIME's 100 Most Influential People. Read Orson Scott Card's tribute here.



So I'm finally ready...as soon as I can get myself to sink my teeth into page 1.

2 footnotes:

Unknown said...

OMG alejandra. i experience the same dilemma in starting the twilight series as everyone raved about the weird-sounding novel. alas, i needed an easy read and three days ago, i picked up twilght...and finished within 48 hours. i'm not one to like everything i read either. its super easy, and admittedly i still think it's sort of weird, but absolutely enthralling.....i'm on the waiting list at byu and provo libraries for new moon. we'll see how it goes...

chantelle.elise said...

I AM OBSESSED WITH THESE! You should start them on a Sunday then you would totally get into them, any other day and you'd blow them off. haha. xoxo C