Thursday, June 19, 2008

The quest for the perfect CUPCAKE

It's a perfect New York summer night: warm and humid, the breeze seems to flutter you along as you stroll. What could better complete the experience than a little cupcake?




While frolicking around in the Village a few weeks ago, Chantelle and I decided to get MAGNOLIA BAKERY cupcakes, but were instantly deterred by the line wrapped around the block (typical). Okay people, I understand it's one of the quintessential NYC experiences to eat a Magnolia Cupcake...



And they're good, but not 30-minute-wait good.

PS: crush/crash - genius. And yes, less than a minute of air time on that show gave Magnolia that notorious wait. Probably due to their slower-than-molasses cashier people, but that's just my observation.

So my verdict: not super flavorful, with the buttercream frosting being the highlight as the actual cake itself is on the dry-side. Do the vanilla cake (not the chocolate), with vanilla or chocolate frosting. They have a new uptown location, but I have yet to find enough urgency within myself to visit - if that's telling. But should you happen to saunter down Bleecker and see no wait, stop in.

Magnolia Bakery, 401 Bleecker St. at West 11th




---

So, Chantelle and I sojourned on that night...and luckily so... because we stumbled upon BATCH on West 10th.

If Betsey Johnson had a bakery, this would be it. Fuschia-colored walls, crystal chandeliers and neon cake stands. Being the foodies we are, we had to know what every one of them contained, and the people were more than friendly to explain. All of their cupcakes are filled with some sort of ganache or compote, so I get the Strawberry Coconut with strawberry rhubarb compote, and Chantelle gets the Banana Cream. They are so pretty, it's hard to want to eat them. The frosting is sweet, more interesting than pure buttercream. As if that isn't enough, they top the little cuties with edible glitter!

Batch, 150 West 10th St. (btwn Waverly Place and Greenwich Ave)

---

Then, there is/are CRUMBS. With five locations around the city, one in the Hampton's, and a couple in Los Angeles, Crumbs harbors most of its NYC loyalty from the the locals who roll their eyes at Magnolia's mention. I went to the one on Third Avenue at 78th yesterday. Great selection, all s-crumb-tious looking (yes I just made that up).



They're also enormous, and I couldn't decide between 'Blackout' and 'Tiramisu,' so I brought both home to share with Emily. "Of course you would get Tiramisu!" she exclaimed. But after trying the Blackout (which we decided needs more kick), she likes the latter better!

Crumbs, 1371 Third Ave. at 78th Street (and other locations).


Here's hoping your weekend plans involve a cupcake or two!

2 footnotes:

Tara said...

if you ever saunter down to DC, we'll go here:

http://www.georgetowncupcake.com/home.html

soooo delish.

ps, lest we forget my magnolia experience of 2006-
http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v40/220/111/17806817/n17806817_31021812_4259.jpg

Karen said...

Sorry, but those Magnolia cupcakes just aren't the best. Head on up to the upper West Side at 80th and Broadway for a super huge, super fresh and better tasting Zabar's cupcake for about $1.50. By the way, I love the Chow Hound too!

Tara's mom