Monday, July 21, 2008

Shaking but Steadfast, I Surrender

I am officially a traitor.

I am raising my white flag.

By penning this, I risk never being called a true Californian ever again.


Like a New Orleaner who knows where to get the best gumbo or a Seattlite who braves long lines for their favorite cup of java, your average Californian has a firm, assumed, incontestable allegiance to In-N-Out Burger.

In-N-Out is more than a chain of establishments all over California (and the surrounding southwestern US), all built in coastal white with streaks of red and yellow, where you can find cheerful clean-cut young- 20-somethings in starched white uniforms and red aprons flipping burger patties (they pay more than minimum wage, you know).


In all its retro-chic and greasy-clean glory, In-N-Out Burger is a beacon of simplicity in a world of change (unless you know the underground menu, then it gets complicated).


But I have seen the light.


And I'm not even a burger connoisseur. The fact I'm declaring my love for anything red-meat-related is groundbreaking.


But I have converted to a little slice of urban heaven known as SHAKE SHACK.

Located in the southeast corner of Madison Square Park, NYC (approximately 23rd and Madison). Just look for the DMV-long line.
You may be offered some moolah to hold a spot or take an order for someone.

Fresh ground beef. Soft and chewy. On a fresh, lightly toasted challah-brioche-like chewy bun, slightly sweet.

Shakes. Thick, creamy, flavorful, far from waxy.


Amazing. And there is a live Shack Cam to check line conditions. Because it's not an in and out experience here, and face it, we're on a New York minute!

Later this year, another Shack will open on 77th and Columbus.
I have never been so envious of the Upper West Side.

So, yes, call me what you want. But I will never live down my new love for Shake Shack.

1 footnotes:

noelle regina said...

i shacked this weekend and whole-heartedly agree - somehow it melts in your mouth with the same quick disolve as cotton candy. Delicious it's true. The diet coke is the best fountain DC to be had in this metropolis BUT ... the french fries pale in comparison