Vanity Fair first piqued my interest with this scathing article about Judy Giuliani.
Never had I seen a trophy politician wife so eloquently and articulately...... well....
PWNED by the press.
It usually takes me about a month to go through each issue. I will pick it up, read a story and "vanity" or two, and then have to put it down to digest. The next day, I'll skim over what I chuckled at the day before, chuckle again, and read another feature story.
Best of all? They're not afraid to stoop to talk about celebrities.
I know, how shallow, trivial and downright West Coast, you're thinking.
However, being intelligent, you can be sure 'galpals' Samantha Ronson and Lindsay Lohan won't be picked apart for their matching fashion "know-how," but rather all packaged up into howlingly satirical little ditties (here and here).
VF pages are saturated, dense pieces of well researched, well seasoned, obsessively crafted, clever New Yorker wit and writing, with a fresh libertarian point of view:
They slam left and slam right with their invisible hands.
They cut the BS and give it to you straight-up, laissez-faire style.
(Well, eh, maybe they're a titch liberal, but still, I saw 'em rip on Bill Clinton and it is hilarious.)
And unlike many news organizations that take themselves too seriously (cough Time cough), VF doesn't: instead of attempting to solve Black Weekday #3, they're proposing what we should do with that $700 billion instead.
And take Rupert Murdoch and this latest "Richbook" parody (click to enlarge).
Friday, September 26, 2008
Oh Rupert!
Posted by Alexandra at 1:11 PM
Labels: Celebs, Vanity Fair
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 footnotes:
alex dear, i am right there with you. i love vanity fair. it takes me a good week to get through it and i'm always surprised by how interesting the articles are. i'll admit that generally i just look at the pictures in magazines (and yes, that often includes martha stewart... don't tell her i said that) but vanity fair does some solid work.
Post a Comment