So far, it would be accurate to say that I've been amen-ing every page and paragraph...
Just a couple of choice quotes so far from Arianne:
"Being tall has meaning far beyond just seeing over people's heads. We share the balancing act of being the chosen people, yet we live in a society that is not built for us...it's a ripe paradox."
(Coming from homes custom built with countertops 4" higher than 'standard' and specially ordered handicap toilets (because they rise higher), I understand this. Short people often have trouble in my family's homes, and we find a lot of humor in it.)
"'Power has a way of being re-inforcing...Tall people are perceived as more dominant and often get treated that way, and if people treat you as dominant, then you de facto become more dominant in that group.' It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. And that is the tall advantage."
So awesome, so peculiar and utterly unique the commonality 'talls' feel with each other...
I end this post with a gem from my aunt Lisa:
"Beautifully tall women lend grace to an awkward world."
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Smarter, Richer, Longer, Better
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 footnotes:
amen amen amen.
In the United States I am not tall at 5'5, but in Peru, you better believe I towered over most women (and oftentimes men too). Can't say I experienced the tall effect long enough to be able to amen the book though. I have lived my life in mediocrity. At least by height, that is.
Haha...interesting...yes, in the book she talks about the reason why South Americans are shorter than US citizens of SA descent is (in a nutshell) due to poor nutrition and healthcare.
I will probably be called some kind of radical omen from the gods when I get down to Peru one day.
haha and yes, Katie...you are definitely not mediocre!
Post a Comment