Monday, June 1, 2009

Conflict-free diamonds are a girl's best friend


I highly recommend watching this ABC 4-part fictionalized documentary that looks at the diamond industry politically and culturally...from the war zone to the show room.

I loved the movie Blood Diamond for shedding light on this issue, thus I really enjoyed Diamonds for taking on a whole new (and more complicated) storyline and cast of characters that all revolve around the business, deception and cruelty of 'conflict' diamonds.




It's well-thought out, with plotline not limited to Sierra Leone or even Africa, but more realistically connected to many other parts of the world.

Plus, you can watch the 4 episodes for free...
Go to Abc.com and click on "Free Episodes" at the top
(Click HERE for the first episode.)


Denmont, the main diamond company depicted in 'Diamonds,' presumably refers to the real company De Beers: the overarching antagonist in Blood Diamond as well.

After looking on the World Diamond Council and UN Websites, as well as Wikipedia (here and here), my burning, perhaps trite (and probably unanswerable) question remains of why advertising (as it appears) has created such a high demand for diamonds in Western culture.

Forget governments, forget rebel groups...are we really just buying into a grand marketing scheme with ugly, unseen colonialist implications?

Or perhaps Hollywood is blowing this issue out of proportion: In 2003, George W. Bush passed the Clean Diamonds Trade Act (click on "US Legislation) and the WDC alleges that conflict diamond trade has been reduced from 4% to 1% of the total diamond trade.

Hmm.

Maybe you have an answer or an explanation?
Or perhaps you have read a well-researched book that further brings this issue to light?
Please share your thoughts!

4 footnotes:

Courtney said...

I don't have an answer, but I plan on watching that episode as soon as I get home!

defining amy said...

i'm watching that film as soon as i get back. thanks for the find. the fact that conflict diamonds exist is the problem, and it doesn't really matter the percentage. so thanks for shedding light on the issue. when it comes to africa, the only real solutions stem from replacing ignorance of people outside of the continent, with knowledge. gosh. i love africa. next time, come with?

Alexandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexandra said...

Amy, you bring up a great point. I think microfinancing ventures will be the future of Africa's success- alleviating poverty and promoting education. I've only been to Morocco (which is really the middle east)... I love love loved it. Of course I'm definitely IN for africa!