Monday, November 24, 2008

Fueling the Fire

To my readers:

I want to give a cheery hello and just clear the air that yeah, ok, maybe I offend you or you may not agree with things I say, but I thank you for reading my blog. Sincerely.

That being said, to respond to all the out-of-the-woodwork anonymous hatred expressed towards my opinions lately, I recall the NBC Bob Costas interview with Michael Phelps, fresh from winning his 8th gold medal. Along with being congratulated by Mark Spitzer (former record holder), Costas was asking Phelps about what he did to realize this dream, even in the face of opposition (for example, Ian Thorpe and Cavic had mocked the idea he could achieve the feat of an 8 gold medal sweep).
As oaf-y and dull and a little unintelligent I think Phelps comes across in the media (please do flame away at that opinion of mine if you are so inclined or know him to be otherwise), he responded with a pearl of wisdom that has stuck with me, along the lines of "I openly welcome comments from dissenters because it only motivates me to work harder and prove them wrong."

Now, in relation to this blog, my goal is not to really "win someone over" or "prove someone wrong" with my opinions, I really just want to be a good writer and entertain and highlight truths, as I see them (however funny or awful or wrong you think them to be), about my current circumstances and living situation.

And that being said, it is a huge source of flattery to know you tuned in to burntmustard, and my words were compelling enough to make you all comment, positively or negatively.

I appreciate your readership, even if you now somehow hate me or think I give BYU a bad rap, et al...

To my friends, you are some of the most intelligent jewels I've met in my life that I wouldn't trade for anything.

And to all, don't worry, there will be a tell-all (eh, tell-some) book published within the next ten years that you will all be able to read.


That being said, who's ready for Thanksgiving?
Now thats something we can ALL agree on.


In other news:

I went to the COLDPLAY concert at Energy Solutions this past Saturday, and now my voice is hoarse from screaming all of the songs. From "Fix You" to "The Hardest Part" to "Viva la Vida" to an encore performance of "Yellow," it was amazing. I have even more respect for Chris Martin and clan- they are really talented.


Ashlee Simpson's new baby boy's name takes THE CAKE in all time worst baby names:
You thought "Apple," "Honor" or "Suri" were weird...
how about Bronx Mowgli Wentz.
Wow.


I've also been listening to the new Britney Spears 'CIRCUS' album
(thanks to my loyal Free Swag Queen who never lets me down),
and I just have one conclusion:
B. Spears is definitely THE queen of comeback.


And....
I bring you another Michelle Obama article (really cannot get enough of that woman), with sprinklings of advice from Cherie Blair (wife of Tony).
Enjoy.

2 footnotes:

Kristen said...

Hey, I love your blog, whether or not we agree on politics or whatever it may be. And I think you are a fabulous writer.

I am SO JEALOUS you went to Coldplay! I will have to comfort myself with the thought of my concert experience last night...Sondre Lerche (sang at the end of Dan in Real Life) was absolutely amazing. And it didn't hurt that we got to snap Polaroids and get autographs with him after the show....SUCH a doll. At any rate, thanks for blogging, thanks for being wonderful, and yes, I do agree with your opinion on the name choice of poor Ashlee's little boy. Naming someone after a fictional feral child in a Disney movie and a rough part of a major US city is not what I call classy.

tracey jameson said...

That's what being a writer is all about. If you don't piss a few people off, you must be doing something wrong.

Happy Turkey Day...love ya girl!