Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Try to make me a STYLISTA, I say NO....NO....NO....

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

I watched the first three episodes of the new CW show "Stylista" last night and it scared the shizz out of me because:


A) I KNOW the challenges are really hard (I'm learning how to do new media page design and can't imagine putting together a feature page in half an hour...),

and B) I KNOW, and was reminded of how the NY fashion world is

REALLY.
THAT.
CUTTHROAT.


Really.


Like Anne Slowey? She's a dime a dozen there. She's a witch in the show, and you can count on the fact she's even more in real life.

So much, Slowey makes Nina Garcia on Project Runway look like Maria von Trapp. The irony is that Slowey actually replaced Garcia as Elle's Fashion Director right before they started filming Stylista (but don't cry for Nina, she's at Marie Claire now).


(Garcia and Slowey)- courtesy of NY Magazine

My Harper's Bazaar intern roommate this summer would tell me some all about the horrid remarks the Marketing Director would make to her colleagues, not just the interns (not to mention the interns slaved away delivering designer clothes via subway all day every day).

After a particularly distressed day, I recall she and I having a talk about basic human decency.

(Although I will say, that is another reason why NYC is so intriguing to me-- how sometimes the most progressively intellectual people in the world can be that inhumane, while sometimes the most decent are the ones on the streets).

Seriously.

Like, I was thinking about if any of my future daughters wanted to go into fashion, I'd say watch Stylista first and then decide.

But I will say, the graphic page design stuff they do on Stylista is pretty close to what I want to be doing, but for sure NOT FASHION.

Because fashion is merciless.

And
really.
that.
cutthroat.

2 footnotes:

Anonymous said...

So other than being way scared, do you suggest the show?

e.m. said...

So... really? It really is
that.
cutthroat?
Because I used to want to go into fashion. Ha.
I missed you at work today. But enjoyed the 11/11 double post and the stylista warning.