In Mamma Mia, I did not know what they were singing in that "Money Money Money" song. I thought they may have been saying "Monday Monday Monday, must be funday, in a rich man's world" or something. Yeah.
Anyway.
I hate Sundays.
If you are a single girl, living in Provo, it's the day of the week when you wallow around and are mentally screamed at and slapped a thousand times in the face because you don't have a boyfriend with whom to cuddle and take an afternoon nap.
Only on Sundays, when I can't get retail or exercise therapy to combat this pervasive reality of Utah Valley, do I feel this way.
Then BYU co-eds go to Ward Prayer (a Sunday night 30 minute spiritual thought + mix n mingle gathering to wrap up the day...more aptly known as "Ward Stare") for a half-assed flirt effort with lame-a boys who can't muster any confidence to ask you out anyway.
So that is Sunday...
Now, I have a super stressful week ahead of me catching up on projects, presenting, and getting things set for DC next summer and Prague in January...
As if last week wasn't enough with four newspaper packages on the election...Nov. 5 cannot come soon enough...oh wait, that's in 2 days!
ANYWAY...I believe heartache, lovesick longing, and school stress are very similar emotions.
Which is why, when I lived with Brook, she used to play Danity Kane and other sappy R&B love songs during midterms and finals week, because they just kind of capitalized on those mopey emotions and empathized with our heightened hormone levels.
On our playlist then:
Danity Kane- Ride For You
Brian McKnight- 6, 8, 12 (We all agreed this was the slow song at the middle school dance we would later cry over because we didn't get asked)
But now, since I pretty much laugh uncontrollably when I hear those songs (from those finals week memories), I decided to turn to Vanessa Carlton's sappy love songs all weekend to empathize with me through my heartache of stress, since I am a woman and take stress emotionally.
And since I pretty much solidified my love for Vanessa Carlton's talent this summer at her concert in NYC, I have her albums on constant repeat. CONSTANT REPEAT.
On the computer, in the car....a one way trip to SLC will get me through all of "Heroes and Thieves."
Lately, I've been getting into her earlier stuff....aka
"Pretty Baby"
(my iTunes playcount said I played it 29 times this weekend. yes. 2 days...in my room)
"Who's To Say"
(SO SO GOOD)
"Ordinary Day"
(also, just so good)
Oh just if you were wondering if she is that good on the piano,
she is THAT GOOD.
I saw it with mine own eyes.
So instead of playing all that punk/emo crap when you are stressed, give into the power of sappy love songs and they will ache with you as you go about your tests and projects and bleak days.
Then, today I got to the newsroom, and Emiley was playing Missy Higgins, another one of my FAVES.
I used to listen to "Night Minds" and "Any Day Now" staring out of train and bus windows on study abroad.
LOVE MISSY HIGGINS.
AND I LOVE EMILEY.
In OTHER NEWS:
I had a very vivid dream Saturday night...that involved NYC.
I was at some kind of summer camp (think EFY sans cheering and super stringent modesty standards) in Lower Manhattan, but there was a gorgeous temple there on a second floor patio with the EFY place on the first floor underneath.
So it was skit night and we had to go all around the city- no actually, only our group had to go see this one other group's skit.
Up on 242nd street....which is the Bronx aka J-Lo's former hood aka a very bad.
We get there, I am PISSED because obvio these people do not understand we need to LEAVE.
So I go over to FDR highway (which is not even connected to the Bronx but really funny I even knew it was FDR highway in my dream) and stand in the median with my followers (a girl from high school and my study abroad BFFs). After a cabbie denies us (hahaha been there done that!- (read halfway down the post)), a van randomly stops.
We literally hop in like it's a convertible.
Perfect.
Then the girl from high school takes the front seat and we drive really fast down to the Temple grounds/EFY skit ground. but at one point we are driving on water above all the tunnels kind of like that SeaWorld Shark exhibit where the sharks are swimming over your head...only we were above the tunnels of cars.
And she drove really fast, which makes sense because she grew up in Jersey.
And we made it back in time for the next skit. Perf.
I don't really know what it all means except for the fact that I long for NYC. The end.
Monday, November 3, 2008
Monday Monday Monday
Posted by Alexandra at 4:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 footnotes:
what are you doing in DC next summer?!!?! ahhhh i'll have to give you my personal DC guidebook i'm making for everyone else i know who will be there (and maybe i'll be there too, with a real, grown-up job?!?!)
DO YOU HEAR MEEEE??
it's been 6 months, 8 days, 12 hours since you went awayyyyyyy....
oh alejandra.
and those heros and thieves at our doors...can't seem to tell them apart anymore.
love love love you (and luke)
you are so explosive I just want to orbit you and I mean that in a completely platonic way.
xoxo
C
I also love Missy Higgins, esp Nightminds. Found her on my Pandora this summer...and I actually made a "train ride" playlist on my iPod. Love it!
Post a Comment