Thursday, November 6, 2008

Yes, I voted donkey...

So yes, I voted for Obama. Apparently, I'm not the only one....
(See THIS interactive NYT map of final electoral vote count)

It was really an over-thought decision based on the fact I wanted to be able to tell my children one day that I voted for such a revolutionary leader as Barack Obama.

I OVERTHINK EVERYTHING.

Plus, California is not a swing state (always votes Dem), so it didn't really matter...

This is a video of a guy who was in my food writing class this summer
(and the girl on the right is I believe the little sister of a girl I went to high school with- small world in NYC).
This makes me hunger for Union Square and the city energy. Gah!
I'll go ahead and post his Rockefeller/Times Square video too...

But did we seriously think yucky cheeks McCain and airhead Sarah were going to get elected?
I mean, c'mon, Republicans, you really could have made a better ticket (a la Romney-Giuliani....even Romney-McCain...)

Barack is a symbol of hope, of a bipartisan America coming together, of one previously segregated. There still exists this backwards notion of "racism," in the South primarily, and it's such a statement of tolerance for the rest of the world.

And I love how people think he has empty promises.
Like, he JUST got elected yesterday!!

And that everyone thinks he's socialist.
EVERY Democrat's platform always comes off socialist, freaking people out.

(And EVERY Republican comes off as crazy laissez-faire, freaking people out!)

I believe the main ingredient missing is COMPROMISE. That's why I'm a moderate. We balance each other out.


And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Michelle Obama. I think she is incredible.
So educated, so eloquent, so accomplished....so beautiful and tall!
And despite her many accolades, she told a magazine that her first priority should she be elected First Lady would be acclimating her two daughters to life as First Daughters (she got slammed by feminists for that, but I greatly respect her).

As my mom, who very very reluctantly voted McCain said, "I'm actually really excited for our country!"

And Prop 8 passed in California 52-48.
Let's hope the judges don't pull a fast one again, or else we're screwed.

The most interesting thing about election night was seeing my friends' facebook status updates. People from high school saying they were so excited about Obama and so bummed about Prop 8 versus all my mostly Republican friends out here who were mostly just relieved that Prop 8 passed and already starting to rally for Mitt Romney 2012.

My news feed read like:

"NO on Prop 8"
"Getting out the vote for John McCain"
"Obamamania in Times Square= amazing"
"So proud to be American"
"thrilled"
"scared for our country"
"YES on Prop 8"
"believes we can"
and my favorite...

"so over it"

We live in a great country.

2 footnotes:

Anonymous said...

Facebook news feeds have been CRAZY since the week before the election. It is really funny. I actually had a couple of people de-friend me because of my "Yes on 8" status. That will show me, right?

Alexandra said...

I know! I had to de-friend a high school acquaintance at Berkeley because her status updates were bothering me too much.