Monday, September 7, 2009

On jerking myself around

"The most important reviews are the ones you give yourself."
- Carrie Bradshaw, after her first NY Times review
Season 5, 'Critical Condition'



Getting to know one's self is a lifelong quest, yes.

But this much I am sure: a healthy relationship is one where your own self, however developed or undeveloped it may be, is not surrendered or hijacked parasitically, but rather allowed to develop and flourish both healthily and independently of the other. Of course, it is always nice to see eye-to-eye on things, and certainly, a relationship is one that grows together in some, if not, many aspects.
But ultimately, the "oneness" starts at one's self.


Arguably my best and simplest revelation this summer:

I am the biggest jerk to...myself.


If we all treated ourselves with due self-respect, we'd see healthier relationships.
I'm not too proud to say that starts with me.

4 footnotes:

Krystyna said...

Amen, sister. That is so true. And now that I am married, I have realized even more how important it is to keep developing MYSELF (MY interests, MY education, MY free time, MY testimony etc) in addition to developing my relationship with my husband. Why is it to hard to do things for yourself, though?

Organic Meatbag said...

Hey, I beat myself up for years too...

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent post. I am the same way and need to be less critical of myself.

Holly said...

well put! i completely agree.