Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The button

First day of school, 30 mins before class starts, a button pops off my new pants, derailing my outfit of a month-long vision.

I'm on my hands and knees trying to find it, to no avail...

Severely thrown off, I am late to my first class by probably 30 seconds, but nonetheless welcomed to scores of eyes as I traverse in front of all of them in the middle of the professor's introductions, climbing over several people to get a seat.
NICE.

Later, I crack open my 'law school primer' (as I'm calling it) class book and want to cry. So I lay on my bed in the fetal position and take deep breaths...for about an hour, trying to think happy thoughts ("think of the happiest things" as Peter Pan would say).
Eyes assume that on-the-brink-of-a-meltdown sting-y feeling for probably 48 hours, with accompanying zombie-like exhaustion.

New apartment's air conditioning is broken, so even Utah feels like a rainforest: sleeping with no clothes on, taking cold showers...with each heated exhale, the point is further proven that there should NOT be school when it is this hot out.

Basically, I'm still mourning summer's end and getting my trash full on drop-kicked by school.

BUT THINGS ARE LOOKING UP:

Two people (both male, one professor in the middle of a lecture) said my hair looked great (and you know I NEVER 'do' my hair),

Three of my good friends (Murfie, Sponge and Coppins) are in my pseudo-law school class,

AND

my jaw/neck/head BARELY HURT. For probably the first time in at least a year. Miracles happen.


So you know, there are always two sides to every button.
(Even if said button is still MIA.)

6 footnotes:

Rica said...

Hahaha. I so wish I could have been in class for that. Instead I'll be in the fetal position in 2 weeks, when everyone else has calmed down.

Tara said...

i'm sorry about your button. i know how that goes. so frustrating. also, i walked into work with my fly down today. classy.

what class is this, the pseudo law one? i hope it's not a comms class...none of them should be that hard!

RayRay said...

hahaha. i'm so so sorry about the near meltdown. However, I love your posts like these cuz they make me laugh... the good kind of laugh. love you girl.

Katie Luman said...

is that class comms 300? because if it is, it's really a breeze. and you know me. i don't read the textbooks...

Courtney said...

ohhh how i feel your pain. the only thing getting me through this week is the fact that we don't have 406 for another week. thank goodness.

Elizabeth said...

Do you need me to come up there and have "words" with your apartment super??? That air conditioning situation is UNACCEPTABLE.