Thanks to "Dr. Greg" Mortenson, my Pakistan/Afghanistan interest has been piqued... poking around the web, I found a couple of things you may find interesting as well.
(I don't pretend to be an expert on this, by the way. I still have a lot of learning to do.)
Concisely shows what the Pakistani madrassas of nationalists (rather than Taliban insurgents) are up to nowadays. Nice.
Also, has anyone seen the movie Tea with the Taliban? What did you think?
And also, click through this inspiring slideshow on how Afghani women are moving forward, despite the Taliban threat.
"I love working at the National Museum—I feel independent. I can work, study, travel, earn money. Under the Taliban, I couldn't work. They beat one of my relatives so badly on the spine for not wearing a burka that two days later, she died."
- Qudsia Zohab, an employee of the National Museum of Afghanistan and a literature student at Kabul University
How much I, an American woman, take for granted.



1 footnotes:
you should check out the series christiane amanpour is doing this week for CNN. it's all about the middle east. i think they're calling it generation generation islam. it's seriously amazing. i ran one of her stories yesterday and now i want to watch all of them.
Post a Comment