All of the people I met in the Union Square Manhattan LDS Ward this past summer were so fabulous. So so SO fabulous. (And as a word of advisement to anyone LDS moving to the city soon, they're far less elitist and/or yuppie than the uptown wards).
I loved brunching with them, getting froyo with them in Greenwich Village, and hearing their great stories and life experiences in church lessons.
Here are two who you can now get a glimpse:
Natalie Hill, who currently stars in Broadway show Grease, has an adorable blog entitled "No Sex and the City." Before dashing off to perform a matinee, she can be overheard in post- Sacrament Meeting chitchatter waxing poetic about dalliances with Josh Groban off-set or bantering backstage with Grease costar Taylor Hicks.
Elna Baker, comedian/blogger/sunday school lesson commenter extraordinaire, made the NY Observer a while ago...

Elna, courtesy of the Observer, sans her trademark large indie hipster glasses (as seen below) that I thought were half-cool and my friend Tara wanted to smash.
exhibit:

Speaking of the Observer article, I really resonated with the guy who said Mormonism is a little Pollyanna-ish and a little OCD, because we're always striving to do better. A big thing that jumped out to me in Conference talks was the concept of inadequacy and how it can be overcome by having confidence and trust in the Lord. I'm already predisposed to being OCD, and being Mormon sure doesn't help. Instead of being hyper anxious about trying a little harder, being a little better, I find comfort in knowing that often just trust and hope that God will help us do the right thing is enough.
And if Mormons and the mainstream could absolutely agree on anything, it's that Manhattan is a challenge (albeit, a most exciting and exhilarating one).
Manhattan Mormons: I miss you, and can assure you I'll be back soon!


0 footnotes:
Post a Comment