Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A musing a la Carrie B

Once when we were bored in class, Mad and I were note-passing back and forth (the beauty of college, you can pass notes without fear of scolding) and we came to this epiphany on the ubiquitous Provo quickie marriage...to the tune of our favorite superheroine, Carrie Bradshaw.


Is marriage a glorified hookup, a glorified letdown...or justifiably glorified?


We were talking how around UV, we see mainly the first two stated.
Please enlighten us, should you feel so inclined.

3 footnotes:

Anonymous said...

People who get married looking for a glorified hookup are going to find a glorified let-down. You don't pay bills with your weekend hookup, or share houshold chores, or take care of them when they are sick. Also, if your hookup hurts your feelings, you can choose to never see them again.

If you enter marriage with realistic expectations, it is (or can be) glorious. Although you do have the unavoidable stresses of everyday living (which you still have when you are single), you have some one who knows you better than anyone else, and therefore has the ability to make you happier than anyone else can.

At BYU I have definitely seen people get married for a glorified hookup, and I have seen people have a glorious letdown, but I have seen many more (including myself) whose marriages are simply glorious.

Alexandra said...

Katie, your marriage is awesome... my friend and I were just commiserating others who didn't enter it with the right mindset you did.

T.RIPPY said...

what is the wonderful music that comes on when I open "Burnt Mustard"?!