Monday, February 23, 2009

Musical Gems

There are some musical gems I love.

"Stand" by Jewel is a song of which I don't think I'll ever tire. It's a song about things in life being not what they seem...people and things you put your trust in betraying your expectations, and of course, since it was released in 2003 amidst rumors of Iraq when Hollywood took their anti-Bush hacks, it's a social criticism of America.

(Listen to it here on my blog playlist!)

Walk in a corner shop
See a shoplifting cop

See the old lady with a gun

See the hero try to run

Nothing's what it seems, I mean

It's not all dirty, but it's not all clean

There's children paying bills

There's monks buying thrills

There's pride for sale in magazines

There's pills for rent to make u clean

Marvin Gaye, there's no brother, brother

Woody Guthrie's land can't feed Mother

Chorus: Mothers weep, children sleep
So much violence ends in silence
It's a shame there's no one to blame
For all the pain that life brings

If u will just take me
It might just complete me

And together we can make a stand


A waitress brings me lunch

We meet but do not touch
On TV, D.C. is selling lies
While in the corner, King's dream dies
Go to the counter, pay for me and my friend

A homeless man pulls out a roll, says it's on him

The mayor has no cash

He said he spent it on hookers and hash




And "Got it Good" by Jem, of which I've actually (sadly) burned out.
Thanks to Delta, who has been recently using it for their 'come aboard' and 'as you 'de-plane' music....of which I have a particularly fond recent memory of a serially underbooked transatlantic flight in which I took up an entire middle section of the double aisled plane and slept 8 of the 11 hours of duration using my and two of my phantom seat neighbors' pillows and blankets.
Best flight ever.
But so underbooked I felt bad for my tainted carbon footprint.

Got a soul, got a mind,
got a heart that beats in time.

You've got a smile, got a voice,
got the gift of love.

You've got it good.

Don't forget how lucky you are darling,
darling,
use it to connect with everyone.



And I LOVE the new Lily Allen album, "It's Not Me, It's You."


It's hilarious, irreverent and definitely not what you'd expect...dirty lyrics hidden under a guise of sweet melodies and groovy syncopations. And of course, I buckle at any British accent.

F*** you Very Much (dedicated to sociopathic boys)
Do you, do you really enjoy living a life that's so hateful.
'Cuz there's a hole where your soul should be
You're losing control of it
And it's really distasteful.

Never Gonna Happen (dedicated to the sociopath)
I can see how it's confusing -- it could be considered using
When I call you up straight out of the blue

But I don't understand what else a girl in my position's to do

Now I know you feel betrayed but it's been weeks since I got laid

This doesn't mean that I don't think you're a fool
But I don't understand what else a girl in my position's to do

Everyone's At It - (a social commentary how everyone's on drugs or vices, from crack to Prozac)
So you’ve got a prescription, yea that makes it legal
Finding excuses, is well over whelming with people
You go to the doctor- you need pills for sleeping
If you can convince him then I guess that’s not cheating
See you’re daughters depressed, we'll get her straight on the Prozac
but little do you know that she already takes crack

Why can't we all just be honest,

Admit to ourselves, that everyone's at it...



Also, Brook is a gem because she likes eccentric music like Imogen's "Rake It In"
(she'll do an interpretive dance for you too, upon request).

1 footnotes:

Unknown said...

haha....you BET i'll do a dance on request. i might even record one and put it on my blog...