Monday, July 20, 2009

Kerouac-ian

1) Google Reader: I was stubborn enough to think that another Google creation would not be user friendly enough for me, and was comfortable with mastering the system of clicking on blogs as they updated on my home screen.
Old. School. I know.

But now, as you will see, I have de-cluttered my layout, condensed my link lists and started "following" more than linking. And it's awesome. You can leave Reader open in a tab and it updates like Gmail. Plus, you can "follow" other blogs besides those in the Blogger format and avert all the arthritic-inducing clicking. Win-win. Go Google.

My next project will be AdSense...still a little apathetic-slash-lazy to figure it out.

2) Finished Me Talk Pretty One Day.

From a writer's standpoint, it's a must-read for all the sharp interwoven details. But don't be expecting to be keeling over in "sidesplitting" laughter as all the reviews would have you think. I think my favorite part was Sedaris's commentary on the games he made up to learn French masculine/feminine words (Hey guys [talking to spoons in the drawer]! Well the lady of the night has arrived [about jam in the refrigerator]!).

2a) You know who IS funny? Dooce. But we already knew that (been reading her for, like, 5 years).

3) I said the phrase "stream of consciousness" in a sentence to some cousins who dropped by for a night and one laughed loudly and said, "Did you know Jack Kerouac's "On The Road" was originally published without punctuation because it was precisely that, a 'stream of consciousness.'"

Well, folks...cheah! precisely. Hence the new post label of 'Kerouac.' Hope you like it.

4 footnotes:

RayRay said...

i'm still scared of google reader. when i use it, numbers higher than 300 "new" stress me out. i used to be cool. Now i'm just old. old school.

your favorite gandoLOVER said...

i LOVE me talk pretty one day - the first chapter has to be one of my favorites though i love referring to plurals as "a river or two", etc. also my word verification is definitely "medbquat". why is this not in the english language?

Alexandra said...

Yes...lynyrd skynyrd...the first chapter was also one of my faves- finding clever ways to circumvent his lisp. amazing.

T.RIPPY said...

I live for David Sedaris!