Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Help wanted for phobia instigation

I do not understand claustrophobia.
Truly.
I get a rush from huge crowds, I wear full-body blue suits with pep, and think that being sardine packed in a subway is, while not the most hygienic place, at least somewhat cozy.

In fact, I find wide open spaces ominous and scary (I'll explain more tomorrow).

Am I totally weird? Because I feel like everyone I know has some shade of claustrophobia and I'm missing out on some great club in which we can commiserate universally. I feel as though I'm sitting at home, while day after day, my friends attend a party I am not invited to. Please tell a story ("footnote it") below, and perhaps your stories will freak me out enough to develop it.

Yes, I'm asking you to take it upon yourself to help me become claustrophobic.

Thank you!

2 footnotes:

siovhan said...

apparently none of us know how to make you claustrophobic.

my claustrophobia comes only from mummy sleeping bags and really really intense no personal space kind of crowds.

just think, one bad fall and all of those people fall on top of you and crush you. or one earthquake and there you are piled under rubble AND a thousand other bodies.

and mummy bags freak me out because i have to be able to move my legs when i sleep otherwise i'm just bait--laying there ready for any type of natural disaster, attack, or serious embarrassing moment.

maybe that helps?

FatScribe said...

Hmmm ... whoa, that is an interesting pathology in and of itself, viz., the desire to gain a phobia. I kind of like it, though. In college, I believe I invented a phobia called "craperphobia" (which I named for the fear of public restrooms) for a paper I wrote for a speech class, but now that I think about it, I like your notion of developing claustorphobia. Perhaps if you were trapped in a rather untidy stall of a public restroom, then any mere mortal would have to become claustophobic.

Keep up the great work!

Jg.