Monday, March 2, 2009

Training

Has a ring to it.

I always kind of rolled my eyeballs at people who would say they were 'training' for something.
... I always thought "train" had some sort of silly stamp of elitism attached to it's connotation...

...like "dining" versus "eating"...

Why not just use average-joe wording like you're going to "practice" or "lift"?

But now, I am taking full license to use this word.
Yes, folks, I'm TRAINING for a half-marathon May 9.
How the tides shift.

Now, all my hours of sweat at the gym (aka training) are not only helping my fit-factor, but actually going to help me achieve a physically-based feat.

All my life, I've been a self-deprecating goal setter: If I set one and fulfilled it, I discounted my achievements by reasoning the goal had been a measly one in the first place and I should have set a higher bar...which would spiral me into making really lunatic goals that were thus, not met.

Needless to say, goal-setting has always been a lose-lose situation for me.

I have also battled a lot of body-image problems and disordered eating patterns (mostly in my adolescence), so after making a huge step to recover a few years ago, I thought I could never throw myself into the loop of making a physically-based challenge for myself...like, ever.

But when I was casually asked by my cousin if I would do it last weekend, I felt in such a state of peace (and let's face it, boredom) that I think this will be a very neat thing to do.

I would love to cut the 'spiritual' bull that all the celebs use to reason for their crazy fitness routines, but I really do think it will be a spiritual experience to go through.

I hope I have a nice therapeutic cry at the end...because this upcoming feat will show me that I can not only make and achieve goals, but it will be a huge stride forward to crediting myself for all the unpleasant havoc I've been through.

Although, in this case, the training has been pleasant.

So bring on the miles.

They'll in turn, prepare me for the many forthcoming ones.

3 footnotes:

T.RIPPY said...

So eloquent! I'm cheering for you--work it girl! :D

siovhan said...

I feel a little the same way.
I think I'm gonna run a 5k here in July (it's uphill for the first 1.5k) and I don't feel like I can say training...for me it's more like attempting.

But kudos to you. You're HARDCORE. and I know you can totally do this.

andrea said...

training. one word CRAIG. the master! honestly