Saturday, March 21, 2009

Six Word Stories

After many late late nights this week (and last) just being there for my newly broken up roommate (six words: his real girlfriend is/was skiing), yesterday I woke up begrudgingly to go snowboarding yesterday with a new friend.

We both found out later that we secretly didn't want to go, but felt bad as we had made a commitment a few days before.

Words cannot describe how amazing it was to be on the lifts and then lay in the snow, spill our hang-ups about life and commiserate, then get up and careen down the mountain (even though it was sticky spring snow and now I have a goggle tan/burn like aforementioned ski bum ex-fiance).

I swear, get me on a chairlift and I will confess everything.
"Lift confessionals" as I have come to call it. Slightly hilarious.

But I really think I've become a really blunt person since I've moved here, because I can't stand all this non-confrontational tip-toe-ing, and would rather have people be straight with me instead of getting that smile-y "Yer so greaht" facade and then get stabbed in the back later.

Because I am extremely bored all the time here in Provo, and have given up on the constant self-advertising efforts to make friends who you know will then ditch you for a man-friend, and instead channeled that energy in lots and lots of daydreaming.

Get a life, you say? Well, that's mine at the moment so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

(To all those who are still my friends (and you know who you are), you are diamonds in this rough patch of my life.)

To make a blunt segway...ssooooo John Mayer's Six Word Story (read more about it on Kate's blog), via Twitter, is

"My heart didn't come with instructions."

Why is he so brilliant? Really.
I remember in Spain when I was bored on the charter bus, I listened to his albums on repeat all the time, savoring every brilliantly constructed sentence and insight (him and Missy Higgins. Gah! love them!). I was astounded that the amazing voice and beats I had come to love had such deep deep meaning when I really listened to the lyrics.

So is it any coincidence that my six word story is:
"Destined for greatness in due time."

I've had to temporarily dull my hyper-anxious senses because I know I can't do anything about said daydreams until I get out of this gestational period of sheer monotony.
Provo is like a mother's womb, some bask in or never want to leave the comfort, and some just can't wait to get out kicking and screaming.

Guess which one I am.

3 footnotes:

Ali Jo said...

oh heavens... i loved the provo is the womb comment! it's soooooooooooo true. it's not hard to pick which one i am too. provo serves a purpose, but is meant to be temporary- let's not kid ourselves! can't wait for you to come hang out in NYC... there is life beyond the bubble!

Katie Luman said...

i saw john mayer in north carolina sitting on a grassy hill... in the rain. LOVED it!

Tara said...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/twitter/5038203/Jennifer-Aniston-ended-relationship-with-John-Mayer-because-of-his-Twitter-obsession.html