Remember that law book that has left me on the verge of tears a few times?
Today it made me smile!
In delivering the Court's opinion in Cohen v. California (that found it was unconstitutional to convict a man (Cohen) wearing a jacket in a federal courthouse with "F*** the Draft' on it), Justice Harlan said:
"The case may seem at first blush too inconsequential to find its way into our books, but the issue it presents is of no small constitutional significance."

In the pages that followed, the opinion kept stating "the four-letter word" in a rather cheeky (pun intended!) way, as if the justices were giggling to themselves as they skirted the obscenity.
Nerd alert for sure...oh school...
photo via here


2 footnotes:
Finally!! Law can be fun and make you smile! It's rare though....I've smiled twice since August :) haha LOVE YOU!
Bahaha. I love that book. I just hope we have another equally as absurd case that will make us smile instead of pounding our heads against the wall screaming "Why, God, why?!?"
Post a Comment